Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Macaroons Are the New Cupcakes

When I was one year old at Christmas, as my mum liked to tell it, I took one bite out of my first chocolate and promptly screamed for another.*

That impulse came rushing back today when my middle daughter and I went to Petticoat Row Bakery on Nantucket to pick up some birthday cupcakes.  She spied a selection of macaroons, in the Laduree tradition with a twist: the fillings are buttercream.

I have not (yet) sampled a proper Laduree macaron, but I was delighted with the key lime macaroon from Petticoat Row that we two girls shared.

We will have to return tomorrow to sample some other flavours.

Petticoat Row: so-named for the Centre Street, Nantucket, stores owned by women while men were off on whaling voyages.


* For my gentle Canadian readers, the chocolate was from a box of Moirs Pot of Gold.  Does anyone remember the never-ending box-lid art of a woman holding a box of chocolates with a woman on the lid holding a box of chocolates with a  . . .

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Laduree macarons are divine. Half (maybe three-quarters!) of the pleasure is visual - I ate them in the Harrods Laduree & was transfixed by the display. I must confess that I don't enjoy cupcakes - too much frosting (so unEnglish!) & not enough cake; I much prefer the fairy cakes of my childhood.

The never-ending picture within a picture within a picture is called recursion I think.

materfamilias said...

Oh, yes! The marvellously fascinating mise-en-abîme of the Pot of Gold box -- almost as interesting in my childhood as the contents of that Moirs treasure chest. And the legend to study carefully before committing to a choice. Macarons to infinity would be rather wonderful as well, all those lovely pastels. And buttercream centres, you say? hmmmmmm. . . enjoy!
(and I realize now that I was incorrect in my earlier assumption that your ferry trip was at the other side of the country from me. Well, I suppose it is, but the other side of a different country.

K.Line said...

We all know where the rainbow goes...

Anonymous said...

Oh, those Pot of God lids...brings back memories of me and my sisters pouring over the descriptions to decide which one we would have...