Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Pearl in Soho

The other day I visited Purl Soho to buy some fabric for my summer create-a-palooza (just finished another quilt).

It was my first IRL visit, and I was very pleased.  The shop is long and narrow, but filled with light, and, most importantly, a very nicely edited collection of fabric. 

There was a riot of Liberty of London, from bundled bits through fat quarters and half yards to lots of gorgeous bolts.


There were some usual suspects, like Amy Butler, and an enticing new collection from Heather Ross. All the fabric was boutique-y, which often meant pricey, but often simply meant cult of personality.

And there were some discoveries for me, like the Japanese fabric above, which will be a new quilt.  I cannot bear to cut it, so I will make a lap/throw quilt (Kaffe Fassett sunbleached mango on the back, crazy L of L handmade binding).

If you like to knit, there's also a beautifully presented selection of yarn, and wonderfully helpful craftspeople to assist with any questions.

I also appreciated the stand-up display of embroidery floss, the project books that were easily accessible, and the cheerful color everywhere.  Indeed, I think that Purl Soho just may be my Tiffanys.  To borrow from Holly Golightly, there are no mean reds here.  Only warm florals and heathered crimsons.

The shop is also next door to Rudy's Guitars, so if you happen to be travelling with a musician who prefers frets over finishes, he/she won't have to sit and wait.  And wait.  And wait. 

3 comments:

pve design said...

Purl Soho is a wonderful spot to spend hours.
pve

The Preppy Princess said...

That is one of my *must* stops next time we're in the city, it just looks and sounds so fabulous. Sigh.
tp

LPC said...

I don't sew, but love places like this. All of the material together is so much more than the sum of its parts. And, I will say, I'm wearing my LOL shirt from J. Crew as often as I can.