Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Rule of Thirds

There are three things I wanted to do this month:

1. Win a part in a Shakespeare play (all parts went to students instead);

2. Audition for a local musical (audition day was not well publicized; only insiders knew when and where to sing);

3. Purchase one of J Crew’s vintage flower pins that they’ve been touting in their catalogues. Surely that was something I could do!

Having looked at J Crew’s Website numerous times for the flowers this week, I called customer service tonight only to learn that the pins had sold out immediately and would not be reordered.

It just might be true that bad things (and of course I use the term loosely) happen in threes.

But: the lovely customer service woman at J Crew was kind enough to give me the URL to the flower manufacturer’s online boutique.

I don’t want anything vaguely corsage-y; it’s an oversized flower that I’m looking for in a riotous color.

And you know, as things in nature don’t occur in even numbers (something I learned in fashion illustration class), I just might order three.

11 comments:

Songy said...

lol, way to go, Miss C. That's exactly what I'd do.

It was said to hear but the story ended in a very humorous note just the way I like it.

materfamilias said...

those are fabulous -- I love the open roses in organza; what a splash they'd make!
Impressed that you have time, energy, and interest for auditioning and, potentially, acting. Not sure what your teaching/research workload is, but I'm always happy, inspired, (even a little vindicated -- as in "see, it can be done!") to see examples of others in the biz (I'm a lit prof as well at a small teaching univ.) who have a wider, balanced life. Yours is particularly so, with the family and the fashion and the blog-writing . . .

K.Line said...

OK - So you work full-time, run a household, have 3 kids under the age of 10, write a blog AND you wanna be in theatre? Unbelievable! How you manage it all is beyond me. You are like an Energizer bunny :-)

Songy said...

I thought you might have. Then again stuff that comes up in J.Crew gets talked about all over the internet so that's why I didn't mention it. I could have saved you from that frustration if I posted the link to supplier's site because I already knew about them via Please Sir blog. She posted it a few days before me...oh well. One of those things. :)

Elizabeth said...

Three, that would be lovely. Imagine the flower "bouquets" you could make with those.

Miss Cavendish said...

Thanks for visiting, materfamilias, I have a pretty heavy teaching load (research is accomplished in the summers), but insist on having a creative life above and beyond!

Hi Songy, I had made a mental note to myself weeks ago to keep checking back on the J Crew site for the flowers. They were always maddeningly "coming soon . . ." I get a good number of my staples there, but forgot about them until your post reminded me! And, of course, they rounded out my trilogy of monthly "just-misses." At least they contributed to my post . . .


K.Line, It's a little crazy, I know. But these various duties/desires keep pushing me forward!

enc, a cluster would be cool on a winter jacket--or on a beret, perhaps.

pve design said...

Stop to smell the roses.... all three.
Off to pick some fresh ones.... love these.

WendyB said...

I remember buying one of a pin like that for my mother for her birthday in the early '80s.

ThursdayNext said...

So, if you could play any Shakespearean heroine, which lady would it be and why?

In my youth I always said Juliet, but these days I would love to play Beatrice from Much Ado...what a tongue she has!

Miss Cavendish said...

pve, Three roses sound lovely.

WendyB, what goes around comes around, I guess. I bought a wool flower from a NYC design student in the early noughties that I liked for awhile and then tucked away. It might be time to bring it back out . . .

Thursdaynext, Beatrice is fabulous, as are Portia and Olivia. However, I do like a bit of scenery chewing, and Lady M from the Scottish play would provide that . . . ghastly as she is!

Anonymous said...

How kind of the customer service person to hook you up! Do show us what you end up purchasing ...