Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Surprise in Her Closet


Updated with photos below!

Doesn’t it drive you crazy when you compliment someone’s coat, dress, accessory, etc., and she replies, “Oh, I just dug this out of the back of my closet!”

I confess that I had one of those moments yesterday, when I was doing some fall organizing and saw a dust bag that I’ve looked at every day for the past year, but yesterday, for some reason, I really saw it.

And then I wondered what it held.
I took it down from the shelf and lo and behold, it contained a large Etro pony hair bag!

I had bought it a few years ago but used it infrequently, for truly, it is a statement bag, bedecked with brass studs and Tyrolean flowers and perforations and pinked leather edges, and did I mention that it’s a shaggy white, dark brown, and caramel brown pony hair bag? That it's large? That it could use a brushing?

(But not with my Mason Pearson, thanks.)

With all the talk of zebra hair shoes (Hi Imelda!) on the fash blog radar, I think it might be time to pull out this enormous bag for fall/winter—dressed down with a subtle coat and beret, of course.




However, if it ascends the slope into Alpine yodeling territory, I’ll be sure to pack it away for another few years. Only Broadway belters allowed in my home.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that line!!! Your bag sounds just perfect! You should take it for a serious walk this winter, with all the fur and the fringe feat. ethno fury going on! (and you should also post a picture of the bag so we could freely envy you!

Miss Cavendish said...

I'm going to do my best to photograph the bag! But my photo will be a sorry entry next to all the wonderful images by savvy photogs . . .

Anonymous said...

WOO! Whenever that happens to me, I feel like I've just gotten something for free. Even though hard earned pennies were spent on the item ages ago, its disappearance/reappearance makes it feel new again. Enjoy your "new" bag.

Elizabeth said...

I love it when things like this happen. The bag is brilliant, and I am sure you won't let it go yodeling on you.

There's one thing, though: I can't decide which I like better—the bag, or the fence it's hanging from!

Miss Cavendish said...

Ahh--my picket fence, covered in vines. You can see where I removed some vines so the bag could have its photo op.

..... said...

who can blame u for your pictures !!? They're charmin !!

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

YES, YES, YES!!! it's funny how it all works, because I've just read your leather post and remembered that I had a pair of spray on leather pants (ala Gucci hipsters) made over 10 years ago and I've never worn them. I ran down to my wardrobe and I've taken them out and I'm contemplating my next move.

btw I can see the Cath Kidston post but I can't access it?

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

As I just posted about my love of all things Etro...this was a lovely post to read!!

K.Line said...

EEEK, I love this bag! With zebra it will rock.

Miss Cavendish said...

KPriss, These photos are for you--but I warned you about the quality!

Sal, It *is* fun to find something that's neither moth-eaten nor laden with linebacker shoulder pads . . .

Thanx, Mr. Style, My own photos are a rarity on this blog.

Imelda, I deleted the Cath Kidston/Anthropologie post because it didn't thrill me--the image was too small and the shoes weren't either bad enough or good enough. It just felt blah.

BUT--if you go to Anthropologie.com and click on shoes, then click on sale, then on booties, you'll see them in their floral/leather glory. They're worth a peek for purposes of comparison . . .

PT and E--Oooh--I'll have to go right to your post. Etro is so joyful, I think!

K. Line, OMG--with zebra I'd need a game warden for protection! Or are they the hunters . . .? I forget.

Anonymous said...

well done! i rarely have those moments as well, but you serve as inspiration for us all that we can truly find great pieces in the back of our own closet!

WendyB said...

I love it! Fun!

ryder said...

u have an etro bag? im so jelous.
im more frustreated with comment like: tnx for you comment.

but i believe that every ones in a while, you can really pull out something from the back of your closet.

;)

Mary-Laure said...

Oooooh, you have a Mason Pearsn hairbrush? Is it worth it, really?

Miss Cavendish said...

C/C, It never ceases to amaze me when I "find" something I've forgotten in my closet.

WendyB--Thanks!!

Ryder, It's rare but possible!

Mary-Laure, The operative verb is "was." And no, now that it's gone, I don't miss it a bit. (But the method of departure stings.)